Hello everyone, I am Bilal Mohiuddin Bhat from Srinagar J&K. I am a veterinary science graduate. I passed out in July 2010 and in my first attempt i qualified Kashmir Administrative Services(KAS) with 22rd rank. My subjects were public administration and veterinary sciences Worked in the state service for 2 years. i appeared in Indian Forest services (IFoS) in 2012 and in my first attempt qualified IFoS with AIR 23 and was allotted Uttar Pradesh cadre. My Subjects were zoology and veterinary science. I completed my 2 years of training in IGNFA and joined my cadre in 2015. I was posted as DCF. While i was qualifying exams but the passion and zeal to work as an IAS officer remained unfulfilled. During 2011-2013, i appeared CSE three times but i could not qualify prelims. My weakness was paper-2 CSAT. From 2013-15 i could not appear because of AIS IFS Section 9, which debarred IFS trainees to appear for any exams while stay in IGNFA Dehradun. Long wait was over finally this year i qualified prelims and got AIR 10. it is all about your passion and determination to move on to achieve what you want. Patience, Passion, Perseverance and hard work are key ingredients. i am sharing my experience in bullet form, i hope it may help you . For detail analysis and books etc. please contact me through mail firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m sharing my marks sheet with you.
1. Essay – 146
2. General Studies I – 112
3. General Studies II – 89
4. General Studies III – 127
5. General Studies IV – 118
6. Optional I (Animal Husbandry & Vet. Sci) – 133
7. Optional II (Animal Husbandry & Vet. Sci) – 171
Written Total Marks – 896
Personality Test – 182
Final Marks – 1078
1. Must read all textbooks of NCERT. These make strong base and value addition can be done from newspapers , internet sources.
2. Just before 2 months from prelims make sure you solve as many mock tests as possible. It must be ensured that you go through explanations and mark some important questions which you will revise again. insights tests series or vision or any good will suffice.
3. Certain sections like geography and environment should be strengthened as some quality questions which are current based are asked.
4. You should remember facts but more focus should be on clarity of concepts. This is the thing which will help you in mains. From 2010 o wards we have seen dramatic change in the preliminary examination. UPSC has shifted its focus from facts to concepts .
5. Remember one mantra that revision is key.
- Go through the syllabus of MAINS and try to remember the topics. This will help you to pick up the relevant portion of news and add to the mains topic.
- Daily minimum 2 hour of answer writing is must after prelims one can write 7 questions in an hour. It should be a time bound event.
- If possible one should join classroom test series mains. it mimics the exam conditions.
- i will say it by my experience that in mains the conceptual clarity and coherent thought process is given more weightage during marking.
- Insights links to topics helped me a lot. Try to make your own viewpoint on the current issues.
- Write balanced, positive perspective with subtle blend of criticism in questions. conclude on futuristic and positive note.(3-4 lines)
- Whenever you write the answer particularly GS 3 remember try to link the answer with the current events and relevant examples. Make sure that you project yourself a learned and awaked personality.
- Be what you are. the diversity among each us is our strength. polish it ,enhance and make it relevant to the situation.
- Honesty, Integrity, Calmness and Composure are key .
- Show them what you are than what you are trying to be.
- Please don’t listen to myths of boards and story that circulate on internet. Don’t have stereotypes of any board. Don’t prepare for boards, Prepare for interview.
- Showcase yourself a person who is ready to take responsibility of public service.
- Present yours ideas coherently and in simple language.
- Be original and write what you think about the topic.
- Don’t put unnecessary facts and figures. Only at relevant places.
- Write in such a way that it has a flow and examiner is engrossed to know what next.
- Limited quotes. they want your understanding about the topic
- Write bigger picture of the issue.
- Multi facets of issues and their impact on various sectors like social,political,economic and ethical should be discussed
My optional Paper – Veterinary sciences and animal husbandry
- collage notes and relevant addition from good books .(if u want comprehensive list of books , you can mail me)
- Make certain areas very strong. They are a) animal nutrition b) Animal breeding and population genetics c) milk and milk production technology d) meat and meat product technology.
- In the recent past, there is increased focus on medicine, surgery, pharmacology and toxicology.. Make short notes of topics which have been asked.
- Make crisp notes of animal physiology so that you can revise at last.
- Take latest inputs from Pashudhan magzine and animal husbandry schemes.
- Biggest challenge of veterinary sciences is how to sum up the entire syllabus. Flow charts, diagrams and tables should guide.
- Apart from books and collage notes there is BRILLIANT TUTORIAL material available in the market.
- For comprehensive study and latest topics join TANUVAS E-LEARNING site . Register yourself as Guest user.
- Please solve 5 years Mains test papers. Many questions repeat.
I wish you all the best to all my young friends